Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 1 Hour & 15 minutes
- 12 slices of day old bread
- 16 oz. of cream cheese (two 8 oz. packages)
- 1 cup of thawed frozen sweet cherries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Cut bread into cubes. Place half of the bread cubes in a buttered 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Cut the cream cheese into 1 inch cubes and layer on top of bread cubes in dish.
- Top with thawed cherries (and juice) and then remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract till completely combined.
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture.
- Press bread down into the liquid to make sure everything gets absorbed.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake casserole, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle top with granulated sugar and bake until top is golden brown and mixture is set in the center, about 25-30 minutes.
Serve with syrup if desired along with bacon or sausage, coffee or juice.
You can substitute other fruits for the cherries as well as use fresh instead of frozen fruit.
Thanks Queen of the Hive!